Week 10: Final Comp!

When we met with DWA on Friday, they really loved the render we presented them and only had two small critiques: the size of the dust particles were too big and there was a harsh seam in the safe model. Over the weekend, I worked to resolve the issue with the scale of the dust, first by trying to resize and repeat the same dust plate over the whole comp. This, however, did not work very well, as the comp was now just picking up the larger dust particles instead of the smaller ones anyway, thereby appearing the same size as they were in the original images. When this didn't work, I tried to find a better plate with smaller dust particles, but my search yielded few results, none of which worked well with our scene. Instead of keeping them in and risk them distracting from the final result, we as a team decided to take them out. If we had a few more weeks, I think we would look into more realistic ways to comp in the dust to create a more dynamic atmosphere. The final result of our project can be viewed below (watch with sound for full effect!). I was responsible for the compositing of the renders, and Lauren was responsible for the title card and credits.

Final Comp of Project

Since we didn't have much critique to implement this week and didn't need to re-render our images, we decided to use our extra time to create a silly, dramatic, film-noir style comp of our scene. I composited in extreme film grain and scratches and desaturated the image to enhance the aged feeling we wanted to create in this render. The results of this can be seen below (again, watch with sound!). I was responsible for the compositing of the renders, and Lauren was responsible for the title card and credits.

Fun Film Noir Comp