Week 2: More Camera Work

During this week, my group met to work on the feedback we received at our last video conference with the DWA team. We did a LOT of camera work, trying to find the best movement to help tell our story. Our first edit included some tilt adjustments in the shots to make them feel less linear, and an additional forth shot of the desk drawers to include more of the "clues" that help reveal the scene. The updated camera movement can be seen below:

Updated Camera Move

We still felt like this wasn't telling our story quite right, so we tried another iteration of the camera that frames our vignette subjects a little more dramatically. This version can be viewed below:

Second Camera Move

STILL not totally satisfied with this movement, we attempted to simplify the shots by creating one continuous movement. We felt like the multiple-shot approach created a disjointed visual, and we wanted to achieve a more cohesive feeling. After setting up our one-cam movement, I also began adding lights and volumetric fog to the scene, while Lauren worked developing basic material shaders. This helped us visualize our key light position and how color atmosphere would effect the scene. We also did a quick test render on the renderfarm to see how our file would hold up. The (very noisy!) results can be seen below:

Single Camera Test

Week 2: Concept and Camera Updates

This week, my group met to implement the suggestions from DWA about our camera move and concept art. We worked to create  a new camera move with three vignettes that focused on specific elements in our scene that helped to tell our story. We also began to establish basic lighting/light positions. After deciding on those shots, Lauren took them into Photoshop and created paint-overs to use for our new concept pieces.

New Concept Art

Updated Camera Move

In today's meeting with DWA, we presented our changes and received feedback. They suggested that we rethink out key-to-fill ratio and really play with back-lighting and silhouettes. They also encouraged us to add some tilt to our camera moves, because right now they feel very straight. We also talked about the possibility of adding a forth vignette as an establishing shot to help convey our story better.