Week 4: Shot 3 Edit and VDev Rig

Today, Lauren and I met to work on editing shot 3. We got some feedback from Dave at DWA about how the shots were reading. We shortened shot 1 to give more length to shot 3, creating a more cohesive sequence of images. We also delayed the rack focus in shot 2 and created a shallower focus to increase the drama of the effect. What we had for shot 3 wasn't reading well, so we decided to take a different approach. Lauren worked on developing the model of the safe so that we could put it in our previs, to give the final shot something to focus on for the subject. I worked on a re-staging of the objects in the corner of the scene and re-framed shot 3 to zoom slowly towards the safe, which has been forcefully opened and broken in the process. Hopefully this new approach to the third shot will tie in our narrative and create a powerful ending to our story. You can watch the new camera shots below:

New Camera Move (Shot 3 Edited)

I also rendered a test of my telephone model in the VDev Rig I developed, just to see how it was working. We sent our previs video and VDev test to DWA tonight, so hopefully we'll hear some feedback soon. The video of my model in the VDev Rig is below:

Telephone Model VDev Rig Test Render

Week 4: Back to three shots...

In our meeting with DWA on Friday, Dave said he liked the drama and effect we were creating with the slower camera move, but suggested that we use that shot as support for additional, more compelling views of the scene. In an effort to create more camera angles that showcase our narrative, I worked on re-framing the scene using three different camera shots, each of which leads the viewer through the room. The first shot is the establishing shot that we were working on in Week 3, followed by a dutch-tilt view of desk and back corner of the room (revealing the investigation board, filing cabinets, and broken safe in more detail), and the final shot is a close angle detail view of the safe and filing cabinets in disarray. The team is really excited about this movement, and we think it tells our story better than any of our previous iterations. We have not yet worked out the lighting for shots two and three, so we only have a playblast of the camera move so far, which you can watch below:

New Playblast of Camera Move

Additionally, I finished the model for the telephone. I still have to UV the model, but for now, reference images and renders of my progress can be seen below:

Telephone Reference

Telephone Model Renders

Each group member has also been working on developing our VDev Rig, so that we can begin surfacing and texturing the assets we've been creating. We haven't decided yet on which VDev Rig would be best for our project and we're waiting to hear back from DWA with feedback on the images we sent them. You can check out renders of each of our VDev Rigs and diagnostic spheres below:

VDev Rigs and Diagnostic Spheres