Week 7: Adjusting Lighting

On Friday, Megan and Dave recommended that we add some rough shaders to our shot, so they could better assess how the lighting was working with the assets in color. I spent the weekend creating a source file by adding all of the assets we finished modeling to the scene and assigning basic shaders to them (diffuse and specularity). Once this source file was created, it was easy to assess what assets were left to model and which ones we should begin shading. It also made lighting adjustments easier, and I was able to render out some test with the basic shaders and new lighting for shot 3. The test render can be watched below.

Lighting Test with Basic Shaders and Modeled Assets

Week 7: Shading the Phone

The rest of my week was dedicated to the look development of the phone asset. I painted the maps for specularity and scratches in Mari and used those to create the shader in Maya. I tried to give the phone a well-worn look without making it seem like it was too much dirt or decay. Creating the look development for the phone was a fun challenge, since it has both dielectric and metallic elements. A turntable of the phone, as well as my reference images for the shaders can be seen below.

Phone Turntable

Reference Images