Week 8: Updated Shaders

This week, I worked on updated the shaders in shot based on DWA's feedback on Monday. The assets I focused my attention on were the phone (fixing the specular highlight on the side of the base), the desk and door (recreating maps for specularity and diffuse based on the substance exports), the glass on the door (remodeling and applying the wave pattern as a bump map instead of a deformer), and the investigation board (tweaking the shaders Sheny developed for the cork and the wood and applying textures to the papers/photos on the board). I also managed the scene file and adjusted my group mates' shaders after importing them into the scene, since the lighting was effecting them in a different way than the VDev rig. It was challenging to compile all of the different shaders in a way that felt natural, seamless, and photo-real, but I think we did a pretty good job implementing the critique. I'm excited to see what DreamWorks has to say tomorrow. A render of shot 1 with the camera move and new shaders can be seen below, as well as still frames of shot 2 and 3.

Shot 1 with New Shaders and Camera Move

Stills of Shots 2 and 3

Week 8: Shaders in Scene

Over the weekend I shaded all of the remaining assets in the scene (besides the investigation board and the safe. Sheny and Lauren were working on those respectively). We had a few issues with getting the shaders loaded correctly in scene because my group members weren't able to meet in person over the weekend when I was adding their shaded assets, so I wasn't 100% sure if the shaders were looking correct. When we met with DWA on Monday to discuss how the shaders were working in shot, this inconsistency definitely came across. Our assets don't feel photo-real yet, so this week we plan to meet together to develop them further through the lens of each shot. The shaders that we have in shot so far can be seen below, as well as a breakdown of each of the shaders I added to the scene.

Render Test of Shaders in Scene

Hypershade Networks and Shader Attributes

Click on the shading networks thumbnails to see a larger version and a caption containing information about the breakdown of each.

I have also been working a lot on project/file management and optimizing render times, since they were pretty high and had some trouble on the farm. I am currently resetting the render settings and working to get the best quality render with the least amount of noise and lowest sample settings.